Recommended Reading for Urban Yogis
* Indicates Required Reading for Yoga Teacher Training
* The Science of Yoga by William Broad is an important read for modern yoga practitioners. Broad's experience as a science journalist fueled a scholarly pursuit to determine yoga's true rewards as well as it's risks, which can inspire and safeguard a lasting yoga practice. This book is required for Urban Yogi Teacher Training.
* Yoga Anatomy, Second Edition by Leslie Kaminoff and Amy Matthews is a well-organized and easy-to-follow guide to the basic anatomical concepts and features of yoga postures. This book approaches anatomical study from a yogic philosophical perspective and explains the inner-workings of the breath, spine, musculoskeletal system and what happens within our yoga postures (asana). This book is required for Urban Yogi Teacher Training.
The Tao of Physics by Fritjov Capra is "an exploration of the parallels between modern physics and eastern mysticism." As yoga is a practice of union, it's useful to understand where our qualitative experience of yoga intersects with the quantitative aspects of science, and when to surrender our rational analysis of things to the mystery of the universe.
* Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing by Caroline Myss, offers a revelatory sysnthesis of the body-mind-spirit connection. Myss equips her readers with "symbolic sight" to heal and prevent maladies at the level of consciousness that creates them. This book is required for Urban Yogi Teacher Training.
* Light on Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar is a classic manual for learning the eight limbed path of yoga. This book, written by a beloved and highly influential teacher, includes an index on postures (asana), breathwork (pranayama) with instructions, contraindications and sanskrit translations. This book is required for Urban Yogi Teacher Training.
* The Great Work of Your Life: A Guide for the Journey to Your True Calling by Stephen Cope, is a relevant read for choosing a path in life with heart and purpose (dharma). Cope is a yoga scholar based at the Kripalu Institute who uses the lives of influential people to illustrate the principles of dharma as taught in the yoga classic The Bhagavad Gita. This book has informed and motivated my best work since I read it in 2012 and is required for Urban Yogi Teacher Training.
* The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer provides a simplistic approach to letting go so that we may be free from needless emotional siffering. Judgements, distructive patterns, fear and past experiences that inform how we live our lives are brought to the light, to be acknowledged and released one breath at at time. This book is required for Urban Yogi Teacher Training.
* Creative Mind and Success by Ernest Holmes empowers readers to use the power of the mind to shape their life experience. Holmes is the founder of Science of Mind, a new thought spiritual philosophy inspired by the American Transcendentalists Emerson, Whitman and Thoreau. Since the 1950's Ernest Holmes' teachings have contributed greatly to spiritual living around the world. This book is required for Urban Yogi Teacher Training.
* Yoga Sequencing by Mark Stephens offers principles and techniques for safe and satisfying yoga sequences. A helpful resource for new teachers, and a required book for Urban Yogi Teacher Training.
* Yoga Adjustments by Mark Stephens offers principles and practices for physically assisting one's yoga students. An essential resource for new yoga teachers and a required book for Urban Yogi Teacher Training.
* Teaching Yoga by Mark Stephens is a go-to resource for new and experienced yoga teachers alike. This book features essential information on everything from Yoga's historical roots, yogic anatomy, teaching methodology, and prospering as a yoga professional. A required book for Urban Yogi Teacher Training.
* The Complete Book of Essential Reiki by Amy Rowland is a fantastic resource for new and experienced Reiki students, practitioners and masters. An insightful read, especially for a clinically-oriented Reiki practice. This is a required book for the Reiki Elective in Urban Yogi Teacher Training.