What is Reiki?
The word Reiki is a Japanese term that refers to the universal (rei) life force (ki). As a practice, Reiki is used to promote the natural healing process in one’s body, mind, spirit and environment.
How does Reiki work?
The power of Reiki lies in it’s soothing effect on the subject, which supports the body's ability to heal itself in the way it was designed to. A Reiki practitioner acts as a conduit for universal life force energy to flow through the person receiving the energy. Reiki is considered complementary care to accompany any treatments, procedures, or medications prescribed by one's doctor. No claims are made to cure, treat, or heal any disease, symptom or condition, simply efforts to soothe the system and promote it's natural healing process.
Many people have found Reiki to be helpful in these ways and more*:
- supporting general well-being
- reducing stress
- calming anxiety
- alleviating discomfort during and after cancer treatment
- promoting sound sleep
- preparing for or recovering from surgery
- managing chronic pain
- easing the effects of emotional upset or trauma
- balancing one’s mental and emotional state
- finding peace in a challenging situation
- navigating life changes with ease
*Please note that Reiki is intended to complement, but not to replace, the treatments, medications and procedures prescribed by your physician.
I offer Reiki treatments by appointment at DCompress Downtown, and also provide distant healing. To schedule an in-person or remote treatment, please e-mail Susana@urbanyogisd.com
A Reiki treatment involves a practitioner who has been “attuned” to the energy of Reiki placing their hands lightly over the body. No physical pressure or massage-like movements are involved. Reiki is received while fully-clothed and lying on a massage table or sitting in a chair. The person receiving Reiki will generally feel relaxed and calm, and may drift off to sleep.
While a single Reiki session can be very effective, it is advised that people experiencing acute or intense conditions receive a course of three to four treatments over a period of two weeks. Receiving Reiki treatments periodically, or practicing self-treatment has cumulative benefits for one’s health over time.
Becoming attuned to Reiki and learning how to use it in your everyday life is an incredible way to care for yourself and enhance your spiritual practice.
My relationship with Reiki is strong and brings me peace, health and well-being in every area of my life. I have practiced Reiki daily since April, 2012 when I received my first attunement from Reiki Master Catharine Walkinshaw through the Usui Shiki Ryoho & Ichi Sekai System of Natural Healing. After two years of study and attunements in the three degrees of Reiki, I became a Reiki Master Teacher.
Since 2014, I have had the honor of serving as a Reiki Master Teacher for about 50 students and practitioners of the First and Second Degrees. I recently attuned my first group of Reiki Masters, and have a lifetime goal of training 50 Reiki Masters as a contribution towards world peace.
Upcoming Reiki Trainings in San Diego
Level I - August 25-26, 2017 at Hapa Yoga
Level II - TBD
Level III Reiki Master - Please e-mail Susana to apply
First Degree Reiki Class
- Learn about the origin, history and evolution of Reiki as a healing practice.
- Experience Reiki energy and learn how it is used to promote general wellbeing in your body and your surroundings.
- Receive the First Degree attunements to your heart, throat, third-eye and crown chakras to magnify the natural healing abilities of body, mind and soul.
- Use clinically relevant and traditional Usui Reiki methods for enhancing your general well-being, and sharing Reiki with others.
- Learn how to use Reiki on plants and animals, and to harmonize the energy of your physical environment.
Second Degree Reiki Class
- Share your experience in practicing Reiki since your Level 1 class, ask questions and refresh Level 1 treatment protocol and principles.
- Learn how to use Reiki for mental and emotional wellbeing.
- Apply Reiki directly to the seven main chakras to support physical, mental and emotional health in the body's main energy centers.
- Practice sending Reiki to past events, into the future and from a distance.
- Connect with fellow Reiki practitioners and build your your spiritual community.
Private and semi-private Reiki trainings are available by appointment.
“Susana is a true healer. Not only she is an exceptional yoga instructor, but also a very gifted Reiki Master. She has a huge heart and extraordinary gift of healing. I’ve seen unbelievable results after her Reiki sessions, she literally takes away all the stress and energy unbalance - in an hour you’ll feel your healthiest, no matter how low you felt prior it. Pure magic. Susana’s religion is kindness and love, she brings you from any dark or tired state of mind into the light and overall wellness. I highly recommend Susana’s Reiki sessions. She is truly inspiring, compassionate, knowledgable, and wonderful.”
— Kristalyn W.
“I was going through a really hard time, nightmares- pain -restlessness- detachment- and someone suggested Reiki. After just one session with Susanna, I had the most restful night of sleep since my surgery and trauma. She is not just a Reiki Master, she is a healer and peaceful presence. I am so grateful to her and her wonderful studio!”
— Loxie G.